9/6/2019 - about an hour
I tried to write down thoughts I had as I played the game, to help devs get in the mind of the player a little bit. In the future I might try to record video of me playing and “thinking aloud”. Not everything listed is feedback, just what I was thinking about.
- No intro splash screen or anything. Jumping right into the title was a little bit jarring
- Arrow keys only for movement?
Level 1 (intro level)
- Dialogue sounds are a bit harsh. Maybe different sounds per character would be nice. Gramps could have a deeper, old man sound.
- I like the dust poofs when walking around
- Bouncy trees, birds chirping and flying around, general life.
- The sliding controls feel a bit off. Sometimes it’s hard to get into the smaller gaps. (like the gate at the beginning)
- It seems strange to have QWERT ability controls with arrow movement. I feel like QWERT controls are usually used for mouse-controlled moba style games.
- I want to control the boomerang throw manually.
- My arrow tower is stuck behind a gate! Help! (this was before I learned you could press space to recall ANY tower, not just the tower you’re next to)
- I really liked the “How do I get that?” and “Armor!’ thought bubbles. Fun touch
- Maybe the main character (Dwerve) should have a different font color than other characters? (blue?)
- I couldn’t pick up a gear that was in a corner. Perhaps they should pull in to the character a little bit when close. Also notice the minor graphical glitch with the water in the top left of the screenshot.
- Maybe Dwerve is a little slow?
- Rain! No rain sound effects
Level 2 - first dungeon level
- OH! Space recalls ANY tower!
- (random thought) -- it’d be cool to buy upgrades of some sort. Maybe that will come later.
- With mouse control, you could use right click to recall a tower of choice, and maybe even place them further away. (AND control the boomerang!)
- Game should probably pause when it loses focus (e.g. alt+tab)
- Zap towers maybe should just stay and not have a timer?
Level 3 - hard dungeon level
- Maybe “waves” should be more obvious / called out, and have longer breaks in between?
- I’m not sure I like the battlefield changing on me mid-fight. Feels unfair.
- No mazing or anything (so far)... hmm….
- Seems too hard? 3-1 took 4 or 5 tries, 3-2 took even more.
- Punch turrets are fun.
- DWERVE isn’t a typical TD formula. Which seems to make it much harder. And maybe less fun than the formula? Typically, the enemies aren’t trying to get to the player, they’re trying to get to an exit of some sort, and they only attack you if you aggro them or wall off somehow. Also, there’s something fun about building up more towers after each wave. I’m not against the power gem concept, but maybe there should be a sub-currency that allows you to build towers, and as any particular fight goes on, you can build more and more towers.
- Perhaps you should teach what towers do by them already being built somewhere in a little mini-wave. Being told where to place towers feels counter-intuitive to a TD style game. It should be up to me how to approach and beat a level, and if there is an optimal way to win, that should be up to me to figure out.
- Oof. I don’t think I have another level in me right now. (exit game) -- (I later found out that there wasn't actually "another level", since it was just the practice level.)